Friday, October 22, 2010

Me Encanta Agua




You know how Joni Mitchell (and about a million other people) said that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone?

I think she may have been living in foreign country in a house on a hill with no running water.



Sure, I KNEW running water was awesome, but...did I...really...?




Here's the deal:

Our toilet has been finicky for awhile now- breaking and then working again, on and off.

THEN, last Sunday, the water tank attached to our house (that supplies water for the house in the evenings, while Cusco supplies it in the day) broke. Our landlady was here, knew about it, and then bounced off to Lima, telling us she'd be back to help us on Friday (today). That meant we went five nights without water. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't great either.

THEN, this morning, I went to check on the toilet to see if it was running and when I went to flush it, the "trip lever" (yeah, I looked that up) just SNAPPED and then the tank started overflowing. This happened at 6:30 am, 10 minutes before the absolute latest time we could leave for work. We eventually had to turn off the water in the whole house in order to stop a major flood from happening.

Ohhh! Aaaand it rained a lot yesterday (which is normal for this time of year) and the drain on our rooftop porch was clogged so our ENTIRE KITCHEN flooded while we were at work.

And now? It's Friday afternoon and the landlady is back, but there's no plumber in sight and she has yet to discuss the situation with us.

Suddenly this charming cottage on a hill with killer views kind of...sucks.

If this doesn't get fixed, and if our landlady keeps flakin' out, we might have to move. I don't want to do that. I'm just getting settled in. The four year-old at the tienda next door and I are becoming such good friends.

Despite all this, I have to say that this is not HORRIBLE (yet). It's inconvenient. And annoying. I'm learning about what I need to live comfortably and it turns out, it's a lot less than I thought.

And now, I have a new appreciation for running water. I LOVE me some running water.

No comments:

Post a Comment