Friday, October 15, 2010

The Machu Picchu Blog




Hola!

I went to Machu Picchu last weekend. The verdict? EPIC.

I only spent a total of about 2 and a half hours at the ruins and now that I'm gone, I look at the pictures and think, "Really? I was there?"

I went with two of my teaching friends from work and my Italian roommate, Betta (don't worry, Cameron is still around- she's going to MaPi with her mom in December). We opted to take a tour, but you really don't need to take a tour. There's a helpful brochure and map that tells you just about as much as the tour does. The thing about Machu Picchu is that no one really knows much about its history and origins. It was built around 1450 (more recently that I'd assumed) and at some point the civilization living there decided to up and leave. There are parts of it that are still unfinished and it hadn't been lived in long when it was abandoned. One theory is that the people on Machu Picchu got word from Cusco (the capital of the Incan empire) that the Spanish were invading, so they bailed to save themselves. Turns out, they may have been alright if they stayed- the Spanish never found Machu Picchu. Another theory is that an illness wiped out a bunch of the people living there and they left to avoid complete obliteration. No one can say anything for sure, but the mystery totally adds to its epic-ness.

MaPi (it's nickname) is considered one of the modern wonders of the world and it is truly wonderful. If you can get there, do it. One of the best parts about a trip to Machu Picchu is that it's also a trip to Cusco and the Sacred Valley- there's so much history, rich culture and natural beauty here. You shouldn't miss it.

I think the fact that my students and other locals I meet are just as in awe of Machu Picchu as tourists says a lot- they live here, they take school trips to Machu Picchu, it's the biggest deal around these parts and they're totally not over it. Before leaving last weekend, I was talking to a class about weekend plans and I told them about my trip. They know I am on antibiotics right now and can't drink alcohol (they are used to their teachers being on antibiotics), and one of them said, "That's too bad, Teacher, because when you see Machu Picchu, you'll want to have a beer." Well, I can definitely concur that a toast was definitely in order- beer or no beer.


Salud, Machu Picchu!


No comments:

Post a Comment