Friday, November 26, 2010

Gracias


I spent yesterday prepping for upcoming quizzes and exams and recovering from a recent food poisoning and/or parasitic bout. So, y'know, a pretty standard Thursday in Cusco. However, it was pretty hard to miss the pouty little gringo faces around the building- it was kind of obvious that for one day, we'd all rather be back home, gnashin' on home cooked goodness and lovin' on our families. No one was sobbing into any pillows, but it was definitely a new feeling for me, as this is my first big holiday away. I did take a lot of comfort in the fact that I'll be seeing all my loved ones very soon, though. All of us teachers (and some Peruano friends) are getting together on Saturday to have our own little Cusco Thanksgiving. I'm looking forward to it, as I know it'll be a memorable holiday celebration.

The absolute highlight of yesterday, and probably my week, was skyping with my friends and family. I skyped with the Elfring family's Thanksgiving crowd and it was a blast- got to laugh with some of my good friends and their family and got to see smiling faces I haven't seen in ages. It was pretty great. THEN, I called over to the Sammon residence and got to chat with my cousins, aunts, uncles and of course, Mama Sammon. It was great to hear the familiar sounds of a Sammon Thanksgiving- laughing, shouting, confused bickering, AND little kids! Our little Declan is almost three and his new baby cousin, Zack, was celebrating his first Turkey Day. I loved hearing the sounds of little people in the background, as it's been us big kids for so long.

I'm thankful (as I should be) every year, but this year, this wonderful, beautiful, exciting, and challenging year, I can't help but feel exceedingly thankful. From the very start, 2010 has been a been a thrill. Even before heading to Latin America, it was a thrill.

I'm thankful for this experience- traveling, teaching, learning, culture, the epic natural beauty, and of course, new friends. AND I'm also thankful for home- my incredibly loving and supportive family, my hilarious, wonderful and oh-so-missable friends and the warmth they all provide. I am a lucky ducky, without a doubt.





Happy Black Friday...and by "happy" I mean, I hope you're not shopping because that is crazy...and sick...and CRAZY!


No comments:

Post a Comment